Since Fairland Contractors was first established we’ve worked on many historical buildings; with over three decades of experience, we now count listed building refurbishment as one of our specialist sectors.
The first large listed building refurbishment project we carried out was at The Bear in Maidenhead. The ceiling, made up of ancient beams, had collapsed. Each beam had to be photographed while in position, then numbered individually, taken down and put back when the ceiling was made safe in precisely the same position. Working on listed buildings requires the utmost attention to detail. In these circumstances, fast-track is not always quite so fast-track. But the work is rewarding as we help preserve the historical significance of these buildings for future generations.
Not just pubs:
Pub and hotel operators have always appreciated the popularity of older historical buildings with their clientele. And, there has been plenty of investment in this kind of premises recently.
Older buildings are now being well utilised in various ways. We have helped convert historical barns into restaurants and microbreweries. We have also recently been working on listed building refurbishments in the education sector.
Special considerations – Listed Building Refurbishment:
If you have a listed building project, you should always choose to work with a company with specialist sector knowledge for many reasons.
- Expertise: As a specialist company with experience working with listed buildings we understand the building’s history, materials, and construction techniques. So, we can provide you with expert advice on how best to refurbish the building while preserving its historic value.
- Compliance with regulations: Importantly, listed buildings are subject to strict regulations that govern what can and cannot be done during refurbishment work. As a specialist company, we are familiar with these regulations and will ensure that all work complies with them.
- Quality of work: Refurbishing a listed building requires high craftsmanship and attention to detail. We count skilled craftsmen among our sub-contractors. These craftsmen have experience in working with traditional materials and techniques. Therefore, we can complete all our listed building projects to the highest standards.
The Star of the East – A beautiful Victorian pub that we helped return to its former glory in recent years…
- Project management: Refurbishing a listed building can be complex and time-consuming. We have the resources and expertise to manage the project efficiently. Like all our projects, you will be assigned a dedicated Contracts Manager.
- Sourcing Materials: We recommend tried and tested suppliers and specialist contractors to help source materials for our clients. For example, these might include reclaimed timbers, skirting and architraves, historical stones such as marble and granite, and reclaimed fireplaces and doors.
- Preservation of historic value: Finally, listed buildings are an important part of our cultural heritage and it’s vital to preserve them for future generations. Experience in this sector has given us a deep appreciation for the historic value of the buildings we work on. We always work hard to ensure that we preserve the cultural heritage during the refurbishment process
Are you ready to begin your hospitality refurbishment project? We can help. Contact us HERE.